Community Foundation for Southwest Washington Programs
The Community Foundation provides donors with a wide array of charitable fund options, including Donor Advised Funds, Designated Funds, Field of Interest Funds, and Scholarship Funds. Donors turn to us because we know how to target, leverage, and manage your charitable giving to achieve the most benefit to the community. How we add value:
- Charitable fund offerings to meet your individual goals, whether they be engaging your family in philanthropy, or supporting a special area of interest or organization important to you
- Services to facilitate your granting to nonprofits. You complete a simple form on a schedule convenient to you. We take care of the rest - preparing letters, checks, and confirmations, as well as ensuring that you are granting to organizations in solid standing and that your charitable intent is fulfilled
- Expertise in accepting a wide range of assets with maximum tax benefits
Grant and Scholarship Programs
The Community Foundation for Southwest Washington is one of the largest community foundations in the state of Washington. Through our many funds, we support a broad variety of programs and projects, seeking to build a healthy community where all residents thrive. Through our competitive granting programs and at the recommendation of donor advisors, we award grants to hundreds of nonprofit organizations working on a wide variety of issues. The Community Foundation currently awards over $250,000 in scholarships each year from over 35 scholarship funds. Approximately 150 students pursuing post-secondary education at a college, university or vocational/technical programs are the recipients of these scholarships. Each scholarship is unique and supports students with a variety of backgrounds, educational goals and economic status. Individual scholarship awards typically range in size from $500 - $5,000.
As an IRC 501 (c) (3) public charity, we offer the maximum available tax benefits for charitable giving. We can support you:
- As your partner. Helping you streamline your clients' giving, thereby maximizing tax advantages and opportunities to contribute a wide range of assets.
- As charitable giving experts. Let us tailor giving plans to meet your clients' individual needs, whether they are setting up an alternative to a private foundation, a life income plan, or a charitable fund to facilitate their family's permanent charitable legacy.
- As community experts. We know the priorities and emerging trends in southwest Washington and can ensure that your clients are giving strategically. Through the Foundation, your clients can also grant regionally or nationally
Recent Successes and Current Challenges
In 2009, the Community Foundation:
Awarded more than $3 million in philanthropic dollars to a variety of worthy causes.
Responded to growing local needs by creating five new Community Giving Fund grants, awarding $125,000 to nonprofits that help those most impacted by the challenging economy.
Partnered with the Gates Foundation to distribute $75,000 for hunger relief to thousands of southwest Washington residents.
We are always looking to partner with individuals and groups to add value to their giving, shaping the future of southwest Washington through philanthropy. Contact us to set up a fund, refer a client we can serve, or support our work through one of our Community Foundation Supporting Funds.