91.3 KBCS Programs
The goals for the next 2 years are:
- Community engagement to publicize the 3/2013 signal upgrade and move transmission facilities to Cougar Mountain. This move will increased the potential audience for KBCS by 40% or nearly 1,000,000 new listeners. The next steps include ascertainment of the community and developing an engagement strategy informed by the information gathered duirng this coming year.
- Continue to grow broadcast and online audience loyalty. KBCS is using audience service as measured by Arbitron to evaluate our existing audience and their listening habits. KBCS developed and launched a streaming audio archive for all our local programs making it easy to track what programs are being accessed via this service.
- Develop an effective marketing plan. The current website with a new CMS and user interface was launched in April 2013. The updated brand along with a coordinated effort to reach listeners in the existing and new service area will increase the visibilty of KBCS and its services.
- Continue diversifying annual funding. In addition to individual donors and business underwriting, the station has put in place both major giving and planned giving programs. In the past year, KBCS has a successful car donation program solidly established. The impending loss of funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting makes this fund raising effort critcally important in the coming years.
KBCS trains the community on the art of radio through a series of low cost broadcast, journalism and digital audio editing courses. These courses offer low barriers to those that wish to become involved in the media as producers, reporters or hosts. KBCS trains approximately 200 community members annually through these trainings and classes.
KBCS airs unique music programming and un-duplicated news and information programs. The station produces and airs 7 hours of unique, locally produced news and information programming weekdays. KBCS also produces 128 hours each week of locally produced music programing hosted by trained community members.
KBCS actively works with local non profits to help publicize their services in the form of announcements, community stories and interviews.
The three programs to highlight are:
- The KBCS Morning Blend: This lively, 59 minute weekday morning program airs at 7am. This program is hosted by local community members and features a collection of the very best new music received at the station, combined with local and national short form information modules. Live traffic updates and local weather reports are also part of the Morning Blend.
- Music+Ideas: is daily mix of music and information hosted by Sonya Green, who discusses local topics and global issues, while spinning the new music releases you need to know and the old favorites that you've grown to love. Reports from KBCS producers connect you with local issues while National Native News and Pacifica News offers a variety of perspectives.
- The Caravan: is the signature KBCS weekday morning music program. Produced weekday mornings by long time KBCS host John Gilbreath, The Caravan is a three hour journey to the lesser-traveled corners of the musical world, featuring jazz and world rhythms.
Recent Successes and Current Challenges
KBCS has received Federal Communication Commission approval to move our broadcast facility to Cougar Mountain, increasing our potential audience by 40% or nearly one million residents. This project was completed in March 2013. The entire budget for the project; $199,000, was raised without going on the air asking listeners for donations. Major donors, along with local funders provided the money to complete this critical upgrade of the KBCS broadcast signal.
Producing quality local content is expensive. The biggest immediate need is to provide additional funding for the drive time programs listed earlier. Funding will improve the quality of local content by increasing the capacity of a community-based news gathering organization. Additional funding will go to assist community engagement and implementing the marketing plans underway.