To achieve OneAmerica's mission, we have five primary goals:
- to increase and enhance the participation of immigrants in civic life;
- to win positive policy change for immigrant communities locally and nationally;
- to improve the public climate for immigrant communities locally and nationally;
- to increase the capacity of immigrant organizations across the state to lead and advocate for change;
- to increase OneAmerica's organizational capacity to achieve our mission effectively, efficiently and sustainably.
OneAmerica operates under the fundamental premise that voices spoken together are stronger. That's why we work to build coalitions between immigrant communities and mainstream communities. Although the burden of policies that erode constitutional and civil rights is falling primarily on immigrant communities, we know that all people are affected.
Key program areas for OneAmerica include Community Organizing, Immigrant Integration and Civic Engagement, Policy Advocacy and the Washington New Americans Program. Specifically, our programs include our ability to:
- Work as a lead liaison to the national campaign to pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CIR).
- Actively advocate for the equal representation and inclusion of immigrant and refugee populations in Washington State.
- Serve as a voice for all immigrant populations as necessary to establish a clear and achievable path to citizenship.
- Advocate for policies that encourage immigrant integration at the national, state and local levels.
Recent Successes and Current Challenges
Our nation and the state of Washington are changing. As Washington’s largest immigrant advocacy organization, OneAmerica is uniquely positioned to empower Washington State and the nation to harness the potential of its growing diversity so that all communities will grow more prosperous and equitable in this complex and changing economy and world. By building the political power of immigrant communities, OneAmerica is poised to ensure that immigrant communities and communities of color will help to shape our shared future.
In the last five years, OneAmerica has become the premier civic engagement organization in Washington’s immigrant communities. Since 2007, OneAmerica has registered more than 25,000 voters. In 2012, OneAmerica generated over 50,000 calls to registered voters in targeted ethnic communities in Washington State in seven languages; this more than doubled our non-partisan GOTV efforts in 2010. OneAmerica also sent non-partisan GOTV mailers to over 50,000 registered voters in seven languages. This work has changed the debate on immigration and is poised to build on growing demographic change to re-shape the politics of Washington State.