Seattle Chamber Music Society Programs
SCMS presents a 4-week Summer Festival in July and 2-week Winter Festival in January at Benaroya Hall's Nordstrom Recital Hall. Festival concerts feature chamber music masterpieces and less familiar works performed by musicians with international careers who come together for individual ensemble performances so that each concert has a for-this-night-only quality. Summer Festival presents 12 main concerts and Winter Festival presents 6 main concerts. Both Festivals include free 30-minute recitals by Festival artists before each of the main concerts, and a fun and affordable Family Concert. Summer Festival also includes a free outdoor concert at Volunteer Park.
Throughout the year, we offer various community engagement programs for people of all ages and backgrounds to experience the joys of chamber music in accessible and inviting formats, including:
- Free Chamber Music in the Classroom visits by professional musicians to coach string students at Seattle public middle and high schools;
- Free master class instruction for high school and university music students with Festival artists;
- Free Open Rehearsals to observe professional musicians practicing in preparation for a concert;
- Free Music Under the Stars live outdoor broadcasts of all 12 Summer Festival main concerts at Westlake Park, Cascade Park in South Lake Union, and Volunteer Park; and
- Free Chamber Music in the Park live outdoor concert at Volunteer Park in July.
Recent Successes and Current Challenges
Last July, SCMS presented its first ever Chamber Music in the Park live outdoor concert at Volunteer Park. It was a tremendous success, with over 1,800 people coming to experience a high quality chamber music concert performed by our top-level Festival musicians for free. 40% of audiences were new to chamber music and to our Festivals.
Funding is needed to support our Community Engagement Programs, which annually reach over 10,400 youth and adults with free and affordable ways to experience great chamber music.