Seattle Musical Theatre Programs
SMT adds to the Seattle performing arts arena;
We pay local artists while they develop artistic & technical talent producing 4 shows/seasons
2 summer youth programs:
- Education and performance of Seussical for ages 9-13
- Explore musical styles, dance movement, voice, beginning acting & theatre techniques, concluding with musical review for friends & family Musical Theatre Magic (5th-8th grades).
- Explore specific scripts for what’s hot on Broadway from Cats-Wicked.
- Acting, dance, movement, voice & theatre tech from lighting to costumes.
- High School Performance of school edition musical. Audition-rehearsal process, culminating in 4 performances.
Located in historic Magnuson Park, improving the venue is enormous public benefit
Recent Successes and Current Challenges
The first 2 shows of the 11/12 season opened with great reviews and increased single ticket sales by 92.5%.
"SMT deserves a hand for opening its season with a colorful vivacious mounting of Pajama Game, sporting a gifted young cast. . . . the musical numbers shine . . . backed by a brassy little pit orchestra and the simple but smart choreography." - SEATTLE TIMES, 9/16/2011
"A colorful, exuberant production of the Seattle developed musical Hairspray . . . the set pops with color, and the costumes shine. The huge cast includes some wonderful singers - Kate Moyer . . . a bundle of big voice and enduring energy. (Kody) Bringman as Link brings a sexy vibe and great voice . . . scene-stealing Stacie Calkins as Mortormouth Maybelle . . . is worth the price of admission all by itself". – SEATTLE GAY NEWS, 11/25/2011
To support the primary mission to provide opportunity for local artists and produce great musical theatre SMT must diversify and increase funding sources. With on-going changes in the economy resulting in fewer corporate advertisers and sponsors support from City of Seattle and King County SMT Executive Director and Board must find more opportunities to increase support.