the Service Board Programs
Each year, tSB creates a supportive environment where over 50 youth are motivated to be agents of their own transformation. tSB offers something to teens that is hard to find: the willingness to listen and the ability to respond. Our innovative mentorship model includes trained adult mentors (most of whom hail from similar backgrounds as the youth), and peer leaders (returning students who take on a leadership role). This model provides a supportive environment where youth can both shape and lead the change they want to see in the world.
tSB programming allows space for youth to create positive change in their own lives by learning new things. This manifests in many ways, from encouraging insights on cultural traditions and social equity, to overcoming fears by learning a new activity in a structured and safe environment. This work happens through three programs:
The Core Winter Program combines adult and peer mentorship with social justice and leadership curriculum, service learning and outdoor adventure.
- The Arts in Service Program combines art, community service and skateboarding access during the summer. This program has recently expanded to include paid youth internships with tSB business partners and leadership opportunities for all students.
- The Peer Leader Program provides second-year youth with the opportunity to return to tSB in leadership roles, thus building on their sense of self-worth by sharing their experience with peers.
“One of the greatest things I got from tSB is to ‘push your growing edges’. You had to step out of your own bubble, you need to try new things, and it was okay through the process to fail and fall because that’s how you learn to grow and better yourself.” Maryyah
Recent Successes and Current Challenges
“tSB made me feel fearless, and definitely confident in my strengths, both physically and mentally.”
One powerful success story is that of Julius, a tSB Peer Leader. When he joined tSB, Julius had dropped out of school but kept coming to TSB. His plan was to study for his GED, but he lacked the support system to make it happen. By the end of the year, he decided he wanted to return to program in as a Peer Leader. We were thrilled, but told him we'd only accept him if he returned to school. Today this incredible Peer Leader is back in school and has completed his sophomore year. We recently asked him how it was going. His face lit up as he reported,
"I've never kept my grades up past the first two weeks of school. You know, last year I had decided that high school couldn't work for me. I had decided to give up and find another way. It was tSB that got me to go back; tSB showed me how important my future was."
We are seeking support in a variety of ways:
- Donations of snowboard helmets and other new or gently used gear for our youth
- Board Members
- Design, printing and marketing support
- General operating support
- Office supplies, including toner and a new multi-use printer
- Volunteers to cook for our program nights