Equity and opportunity are the central principles of Seattle Foundation’s mission
Equity and opportunity are the central principles guiding Seattle Foundation’s mission. Understanding that social problems are products of networks of cause and effect at a policy level, we focus on targeted efforts to achieve greater racial and economic equity and advancing systems change.
Our core strategies including grantmaking, civic leadership, impact investing, research and technical assistance. We award localized grants and make multi-year investments in high-impact efforts. We hold forums to spark conversations, establish action-oriented task forces and incubate promising new initiatives.
Most importantly, we partner directly with residents at the grassroots level. Through decades of support and investment in neighborhood groups led by and for community members, we can better direct our investments to make a measurable difference in people’s lives.
Our current initiatives — Communities of Opportunity, Vibrant Democracy Initiative and Neighbor to Neighbor — together create a holistic approach to community-engaged systems and policy change.
Communities of Opportunity
Seattle Foundation and King County launched Communities of Opportunity to improve health, social, racial and economic outcomes by focusing on places, policies and systems changes.
Vibrant Democracy Initiative
The Vibrant Democracy Initiative strengthens the voice and participation of underrepresented communities as a path to more equitable systems change.
Neighbor to Neighbor (N2N)
Neighbor to Neighbor supports grassroots efforts that increase engagement, power and influence of community members affected by poverty and racial disparities.
The Voice of Philanthropy in Our Community
- Year-end 2022 Through a Philanthropic LensThose who work with donors must be ever mindful that their hearts don’t take a day off. Still, the head has a critical role to […]
- November 7, 2022 | Annual Investment BriefingAnnual Investment Briefing Monday, November 7, 2022, 3:00 – 4:15 pm Join us to learn more about Seattle Foundation’s investment strategy as well as overall […]
- In Conversation, In Community: The Black-led Joy and Wellness FundIn this instance of our In Conversation, In Community series, we engaged with three community leaders who have received one of the first rounds of […]
- View Current Competitive Grants
- Communities of Opportunity brochure
- Vibrant Democracy Initiative brochure
- Neighbor to Neighbor brochure
Impact Investing is an innovative approach for philanthropists who wish to expand their impact beyond grantmaking to include direct investment of their philanthropic dollars into projects and endeavors that further the public good.